People often pay attention to the significant components in the car. They will think about the engine, the doors, the general frame, and other such things. They often pay little mind to the small things, but the truth is that these seemingly insignificant parts matter a lot. You may wonder why your car is not performing as it should, only to find that the problem lies in the oil filter. Would you expect that?
The truth is that most knocks, noises, and reduced performance problems are as a result of an inefficient oil filter. When is the last time you changed the oil filter? Do you know where it is and what it does? This small component lies to the right of the main engine block, and it filters impurities in the engine oil.
That’s right! Your engine works as it should owing to this small component that keeps dust, dirt, and other debris out of the engine. Over time, the filter can clog or get damaged due to the constant exposure to debris. You thus need to change it often, or else the clogging will affect other parts of the vehicle. And when this happens, you will have bigger issues than you could have imagined. It would not be advisable to work with a clogged oil filter when you can easily get one for cheap on the market.
All car owners should work towards extending the service life of their engines. And you can do this by changing the oil filter as often as is necessary. You might think that the way to do this is to head to the garage each time you need a change. However, this is not the case. You can forego the labor costs and, instead, invest in a good BMW N20 oil filter wrench. After this, you will be in a position to handle the changes by yourself.
There are tons of options available on the market, such as the BMW oil filter wrench Autozone and you may get confused in the selection process. In this article, you will get useful information on how to choose and use this gadget. Let’s get started:
How Do I Know Which One Is The Right Oil Filter Wrench?
There are several factors you should consider when getting a wrench. As much as this tool will work wonders for you, reaping more benefits from it is possible when you get the best option available. That means that you should be choosy when making a selection as follows:
The Filter Size
Cars have different filters, and you should thus consider the dimensions of this when making a decision. Check your vehicle’s handbook and see if you can get information on sizing. You could have a BMW F30 oil filter cap size, a BMW E90 oil filter capsize, or another size. Whichever the case, you must get the measurements right from the start. Alternatively, you can get an adjustable gadget that can serve varying sizes. The latter option helps when working with more than one car.
You have two options: fixed and adjustable. The fixed option works for a specific car, say, for example, the 2013 BMW X1 oil filter wrench. Adjustable options work best when you want something that can work for a varying range of cars. Your choice here is mostly subjective, based on how and where you will use the device.
It is always best to invest money in something that will last you a long time. Look at it this way. You will save money by making the change yourself, and you thus have some extra cash heading your way. Also, you want something that can withstand the test of time and weather the conditions in the years to come. As such, your focus should be on the build of the device. What materials are in play? What do people have to say about its reliability? Use this information to narrow down your choices.
Difficulty of use
A tool should make your work easier and not harder. You must thus find out how easy it is to use the tool that you have in mind. If you find that using it will make filter removal hard, forego it and seek another option. Look into factors such as the solidity of the grip, its likelihood of slipping, and other such determinants. Also, think about the ease of access to your filter. You might need a tool that can get around obstacles in the way, without damaging structures in place. If you have not used one before, have at it while at the shop to figure out what would work for you. You may find that your conditions call for BMW oil filter wrench 86mm 16 flutes or a BMW 86.4mm oil filter wrench.
The price will also determine the decision you make. Note that it should be the last factor you consider in this regard. You could end up paying an exorbitant price for something that is not worth it. You could also come across a sale and use little money on something that will hardly serve you the next year. Strike a balance by using the price as a last resort.
Do you need an oil filter wrench?
Oil filter removal tools such as the BMW-83300493936 are essential for anyone who wishes to work on their car. Below are some reasons why:
- For one, having a removal tool ensures that you can remove the filter without heading to the shop. Keep in mind that removal will happen many times as it is not a one-time thing. As such, you can save time and money by conducting the change from the comfort of your home. You can compare that to driving to the garage, waiting around, and driving back home, having parted with tens of dollars. What wins?
- Secondly, you get to save money. Who does not want to keep some cash in their pocket?Being able to change the filter allows you to spend money on only the filter, rather than also labor. And when this is the only charge you have in mind, you can get the best quality there is on the market. Also, knowing that huge fees don’t await you in the future, you can change the filter as often as you would like. This timely change allows you to protect your car from avoidable damages occurring from delayed changes
- Thirdly, and this is very important, you do the job right. In some cases, you will find people using just about any tool to remove the filter. After all, if a tool can do the job, why not? There are two reasons why you should always use the appropriate tool. One, filters are slippery, and getting a hold of them using other tools can be quite tricky. Two, using other tools could end up damaging the car and risking your safety and that of others. Is it worth it?
Where to Buy Oil Filter Wrenches
There are many places where you can buy these tools, and they come in varying shapes and sizes. They include the cap, the strap, filter pliers, the spring band, and the spider options. You can get them in physical as well as online shops at affordable prices. When buying this tool, ensure that you get one from a reputable seller with satisfied clients. Otherwise, you could end up spending money on something that will not live up to its promise.
How to Use an Oil Filter Wrench
The way you use this tool will depend on the variety that you use.
There are two main types:
- One operates by strap. Works with different filter sizes.
- The other’s mechanism revolves around a socket. Works with a specific type and size of filter.
Start by giving your engine time to cool off, especially if you have been driving on the day of the change. An hour should be adequate for the engine to be cool, creating a safe environment in which you can work. Next, place a drain pan under the filter, as this will catch any oil that leaks in the process.
- When using the strap, slide the belt over the filter and push the handgrip in an anti-clockwise manner. Keep turning the tool until you run out of room to move. You can then remove the device and work on loosening the filter by hand.
- When using the socket, push the tool to the bottom of the casing and set the handle to move anti-clockwise. Proceed to push the grip into the tool’s socket. Turn the grip until you feel the casing start to loosen. Remove the tool and loosen the filter using your hand, readying it for removal.
Choose a tool based on the make and model of your car. However, when working with different vehicles, it would be in your best interest to get one that works on various filters. All the best and remember to stay safe when working with tools.