For city or highway traffic, many motorcyclists like to keep their motorcycle as close to the surface of the road as possible. Modern sports shock absorbers, which are small in height but effectively cope with the suppression of shocks and vibrations, allow doing this. There are many models of rear springs on the market of shock absorbers from third parties. The best Shocks for Harley Sportster always have high quality of assembly, effectively cope with any vibrations, have a stylish appearance, and allow you to fine-tune the compression depending on the weight of the motorcycle.
Almost all of the shock absorbers discussed here are Sportster piggyback shocks, which have powerful reliable springs using compressed gas to enhance the softening effect. It is worth remembering that the most effective shock absorbers for sports riding are low springs around 11 inches. They significantly press the rider to the road, which increases manoeuvrability and allows you to feel comfortable at high speeds. Such low springs are quite productive in damping small shocks, but if you drive in rough terrain, their efficiency will be lower than that of high shock absorbers.
That is why it makes sense to put higher springs with powerful springs on Harley-Davidson sports bikes, which can dampen not only small, but also large jerks and blows. When choosing the best shock absorbers for your bike, pay attention to the springs, the overall design of the shock absorber and the alloy they are made of. Vibration is best damped by shock absorbers with two springs or with compressed gas inside the structure. Fortunately, today you can choose excellent springs at the most affordable price.
List of Top-Rated Shocks for Harley Sportster
|Progressive Suspension 412-4003B||1977-2018||up to 10 pounds||View on Amazon|
|HTTMT LS003||1984-2013||7.5 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Progressive Suspension 412-4008B||1977-2003||up to 13 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Nallows Factory Spec FS-04505||2004-2020||8 pounds||View on Amazon|
|BURLY B28-1202B||1991-2017||6 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Progressive Suspension 412-4049B||1997-2003||13 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Pro-Action SSS11B||1990-2020||16 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Burly Brand B28-1251||1986-2003||9 pounds||View on Amazon|
Reviews of the Best Shocks for Harley Sportster
Progressive Suspension 412-4003B
|Preload Position||Five Cam style|
|Body||The Doublewall Steel|
The rear suspension shock absorbers under consideration are reliable springs capable of withstanding extreme loads, which is why many consider them the best on the market. They are designed to provide maximum softness and smoothness when driving. The shock absorbers are equipped with a powerful spring with charged nitrogen, which allows them to achieve the softest and longest absorption of shocks. This spring is quite long, which sets these springs apart from other options.
- affordable price on the shock absorber market
- powerful long spring
- excellent modern design
- reliability of reinforced construction
- color: black
- 2 springs in a set
- weight: up to 10 pounds
- manufacturer: Progressive Suspension
Progressive Suspension shock absorbers look very stylish and when installed on a motorcycle they seem to inspire confidence and sense of reliability. They can gently absorb the strongest shocks and vibrations. You can easily perform Harley Sportster suspension upgrades and improve not only the shock-absorbing qualities of the bike, but also give it a stylish look.
Can I use these springs to install in the front?
– No, you can not. These shock absorbers are designed for the rear wheel and cannot be mounted in the front position.
|Compatible||Harley Davidson Motorcycles|
|Preload Adjustable||To tune to rider weight|
|Length||10.5″ (267 mm)|
|Position in the car||Rear|
The proposed set of rear springs from the manufacturer HTTMT is two shock absorbers with four mounts, which lower the motorcycle and give it an unusual sporty and stylish look. For some people, this version of shock absorbers may not be acceptable, but for those who appreciate non-standard riding it will be interesting. These are 10.5-inch springs that can withstand quite intense loads. They are suitable for installation on a huge range of Harley Davidson motorcycles.
- high-quality Assembly
- stylish design
- lowers the rear of the motorcycle
- color: black
- set with 4 fixing points
- material: stainless steel
- length: 10.5 inches
- the approximate weight of the set: 7.5 pounds
- manufacturer company: HTTMT
Shock absorbers may be short for driving out of town, but they are fully suitable for urban flat roads. For those who are interested in chrome springs, the manufacturer has this option in addition to pure black.
How do I install shock absorbers myself?
– Installation of springs on a motorcycle is as simple as possible and very fast. You’ll need wrenches and pliers for that. You need to unscrew the old mounts and remove the factory shock absorbers. Then install the new springs and secure them with screws and a wrench.
Progressive Suspension 412-4008B
These shock absorbers are equipped with a five-stage softening system. This system allows you to achieve the smoothest possible silencing of jolts, vibrations, and even strong impacts. Nitrogen at high pressure is used in the springs, which also facilitates even softer operation. The all-steel construction inspires confidence.
- heavier shock absorbers compared to similar models
- strong construction that can withstand heavy loads
- affordable price
- charged compressed nitrogen is used
- color: full black
- for street and sport motorcycles
- weight: up to 13 pounds
- manufacturer’s brand: Progressive Suspension
These springs are not very large and are more suitable for installation on motorcycles designed for sports riding or driving in highway or city conditions. They are unlikely to be suitable for cross-country driving where there may be large pits. In general, they are excellent shock absorbers, which are designed for sufficiently high speeds.
Is there only one shock absorber included, or is there a pair?
– Usually two shock absorbers with mountings are supplied.
Are there such or similar springs in a different color or chrome?
– The manufacturer also produces almost all of its shock absorbers in a chrome design.
Nallows Factory Spec FS-04505
The Factory Spec FS-04505 springs are designed for installation on sports motorcycles. They have a five-stage system of adjustment at installation, which allows you to adjust them according to the weight of the motorcycle. The height of the shock absorbers is 10.5 inches. The set includes fasteners and a special key, with which you can conveniently install and adjust the springs.
- installation set is included
- easy to set up for a motorcyclist
- low sport springs
- color: black
- for sports and street driving
- set weight: 8 pounds
- brand of the manufacturer: Nallows
By installing this set on the bike, you significantly press the back of the motorcycle onto the road. As a result you get a small Sportster rear shock length within 10.5 inches. This makes the bike look very stylish and sporty. The springs are made of a strong alloy and are designed for heavy loads. In terms of reliability, these are some of the best springs on the market.
The dimensions of the spare parts indicate that they are 13.9 inches. Is this a Sportster 14 inch shocks?
– Unfortunately not. 13.9 inches is the total size of the parcel. The presented shock absorbers have a height of 10.5 inches, which is much smaller and they are designed for use in sports or speeding purposes.
BURLY springs allow you to lower the position of the motorcyclist by 2.5 inches, which significantly improves manoeuvrability and contributes to a more comfortable ride at high speeds. These shock absorbers are very good quality and have a very soft stroke. The upper part has a BURLY label.
- customizable springs to suit the racer’s weight
- withstand heavy loads
- convenient installation system
- color: black
- for street and sports racing
- set weight: 6 pounds
- manufacturer’s company: BURLY
Installation of the set is quite fast and easy. There is no need to remove the fork to install the springs. Also, the shock absorber device allows you to adjust the springs very precisely to the weight of the motorcycle.
How long does it usually take to install these shock absorbers?
– In different ways depending on experience and skills. It took me about 40 minutes, although many people can do it in 20 minutes. The whole installation procedure is not complicated and can be handled in your garage. As a last resort, you can stop by the car service.
Progressive Suspension 412-4049B
Excellent 12-inch rear springs are presented by the company Progressive Suspension. The 412 series shock absorbers are made with the use of dense gas to reduce vibrations and smoothly dampen other vibrations. The low height of the shock absorber presses the biker well into the road, which increases manoeuvrability and makes turns faster and smoother.
- reliable and smooth shock suppression system
- fine-tuning for the racer’s weight
- designed for Harley Davidson Sportster from 1979 to 2003
- adequate price on the market
- color: full black
- shock absorber height: 12 inches
- set weight: 13 pounds
- for sports models
- manufacturer’s company: Progressive Suspension
Thus, it is one of the best models of Sportster 1200 shock absorbers, which is designed specifically for sports riding in good track conditions. As for the installation, it is quite simple and does not take much time. Every motorcyclist can replace the springs in their garage within an hour.
What is the difference between 12-inch high shock absorbers and 10.5-inch ones?
– Once the set is installed, the main difference is the rider’s height of landing, which affects speed performance and the ability to cope with corners faster. Besides, the 10.5-inch springs make the bike look even lower and sportier. The 12-inch shock absorbers are also excellent for riding in normal urban environments on good roads.
Ultra-modern and stylish rear shock absorbers are presented by Pro-Action Company. The reliability of this shock mitigation system is at the highest level. The springs are made of aerospace aluminum and steel, which makes the construction easier and more durable. These are 11-inch springs for sports and racing driving. They are suitable for motorcycle models from 1990 to 2020.
- used aerospace aluminum alloy
- filled with nitrogen gas
- heavy duty springs
- light weight
- fine-tune to the weight of the motorcyclist
- color: grey, black with red
- spring weight: 16 pounds
- manufacturer: Pro-Action
Such springs will be suitable for those motorcyclists and racers who value the particular strength of the shock absorber and the reliability of the entire structure. These are very stylish and ultra-modern sports springs, which are designed for low seating. Perhaps this is one of the best Harley-Davidson shocks. They’re about the same level as Ohlins Sportster shocks. Their only drawback is the relatively high cost.
Is it possible to manually adjust the springs when they are installed and adjusted for the racer?
– Yes. You can adjust the shock absorber precisely to match the weight of the motorcyclist riding the bike as effectively as possible during the installation.
Burly Brand B28-1251
Excellent sports springs with sufficient height are offered by Burly. They are designed for driving in urban conditions and for sports racing. The double spring effectively handles any shocks. The springs look very stylish and attract attention on the road.
- stylish appearance
- rugged construction with stainless steel
- double spring design
- effectively absorb strong shocks and small vibrations
- color: black and red
- sports 13-inch shocks
- weight of the set is approximately 9 pounds
- shock absorber manufacturer: Burly
If you want to have a stylish set of rear springs that will effectively cope with all the shocks and vibrations, it is worth thinking about buying these shock absorbers.
What Sportster models are these shock absorbers designed for?
– They are suitable for installation on a wide range of motorcycles from 1986 to 2003. Check with your retailer when you buy them to make sure they are compatible with your specific model, so you don’t have to worry about springs.
Based on the presented rear springs, it can be seen that most of them are very effective at dampening vibrations when driving in sports and driving in urban conditions. Special attention is paid to shock absorbers from the company Pro-Action. If you need springs not only for sports driving, then you should pay attention to higher springs with a good shock suppression system. This can be either shock absorbers from Progressive Suspension or Burly. Both are adapted to the ride in all conditions and allow you to adjust the springs to the motorcyclist as effectively as possible.
Frequently asked question
Many consider Progressive Suspension one of the best brands in the market of shock absorbers from third parties. Shock absorbers of this manufacturer have a reliable design and use compressed nitrogen gas to provide high-quality mitigation of any shocks. Also, these springs have different heights and can be conveniently adjusted for the motorcyclist.
Most shock absorbers are replaced without having to remove the fork. I usually remove the old spring by unscrewing the fastenings. After that, I install a new set and adjust the spring based on the rider’s weight. After that, I fix the spring using the fasteners in the delivery set. The procedure usually takes half an hour.
The best shock absorbers for a smooth ride usually have a small height of 10.5 to 12 inches. That’s enough to extinguish most of the unbearable shocks that come with moving through the city. If you need springs to drive not only on urban roads, you should also look for taller models such as the Burly Brand B28-1251 Stiletto Shocks – 13in.
These shock absorbers have a five-stage system for regulating shock suppression. They are very effective at dealing with almost any shock and vibration. They are represented on the market by Progressive Suspension.