The towing capacity actually includes anything that exceeds the total weight of the vehicle when it is unloaded from all cargo and passengers.
Why do you need to know the load capacity in the first place? It is important to know the exact number so that you wouldn’t put a larger trailer than it is recommended. Otherwise it can damage your car. Make sure you are looking at your specific model, including transmission (manual or automatic), wheelbase and drive configuration (rear or four-wheel).
The loading capacity includes the weight of the passengers, anything that you have loaded in the trunk or tied to the top of the vehicle, and even the weight of the fuel. This is the total weight of the vehicle. It also includes the gross axle weight rating or maximum weight that it is possible to place on the front and rear axles.
For example, if your car has a towing capacity of 5000 pounds, it can carry loads and a loaded trailer with a total weight of 5000 pounds. So if you are carrying 1,000 pounds of passengers and luggage, you tow a loaded trailer that weighs 4,000 pounds. Do not use the draw bar for it. Modern bumpers are not designed to tow a full size trailer. The right hooks are attached to the frame of your truck under and in front of the bumper.
How much can a WRX tow?
Actually, it is a tricky question, since Subaru Company does not recommend towing with the WRX and does not install hitches on these models. Of course, in theory any car is able to tow something that is not heavy; otherwise there is too much pressure on the frame and the cooling system. A general recommendation is to tow a bit less than your car tow capacity. Again, Subaru does not offer any load capacity for WRX since 2008, however they gave such an option in earlier model (2000 lbs), but did not install any hitches.
What Subaru has the highest towing capacity?
An important fact to know is that not all Subaru are recommended for it, like such models as Impreza, Legacy, BRZ, WRX and WRX Sti.
Right now the Subaru with the highest loading power is the Ascent which load number is 5000 pounds. Models that can be listed here are also B9 Tribeca, Legacy and Outback. You can check out Towing capacity chat that is available publicly.
Can you tow a trailer with a Subaru Impreza?
If you are looking for how much your car is able to tow, you can find it in the owner’s manual. However, if you buy a new SUV, you are free to check the loading capacity on the manufacturer’s website.
For example, some companies usually offer its manuals and information on towing power for several models online. It is also important to find the weight of the trailer you are transporting. This should be indicated on the capacity plate or you can find it in the owner’s manual. In addition, you may find the total weight for trailers online through the charts if nothing else helps.
If you are an owner of Impreza Hatchback you can tow quite a lot when properly equipped and prepared. The towering ability is between 1430 to 2600 lbs which is enough for a trailer tent but will not cope with most caravans.
How much can my Subaru tow?
To calculate the power of a vehicle, you must also take into account:
- Total engine power – Greater power significantly improves the towing capacity, but also significantly reduces fuel consumption.
- Engine torque – Loading requires less torque.
- Transmission type and quality – The transmission takes the most pressure when you tow very large loads up and down the hills.
- Axle strength under your vehicle – Rear axles generally play a much greater role in increasing the traction of a car.
- Braking System – Larger vehicles that can tow more require stronger and more durable braking systems that can slow down even the heaviest loads.
- Vehicle frame – The materials used in the frame and factors such as wheelbase affect how much you can or cannot tow.
- Trailer Assessment – Trailer couplings are typically rated from Class I to
- Class IV, which corresponds to a load capacity of 2,000 pounds to an impressive capacity of 10,000 pounds.
To find out the load capacity of your Subaru, you should check out the manual or a chart. For example, the 2019 Subaru Forester is able to tow up to 1,500 lbs., having the same trailer capabilities as the Crosstrek. The 2018 Subaru Legacy can take as much as 2700 lbs.